Chana (chickpea) flour is a staple in Indian cooking. I love the texture and flavor it provides. Many of my favorite Indian sweets are made with a base of chana flour and ghee. These flatbreads or pancakes were inspired by my travels in India and an old recipe by Yogi Bhajan for jalapeno pancakes. These make a wonderful brunch or dinner. They are loaded with protein and absolutely delicious. A perfect addition to your weeknight meals.
- 1 1/2 cups chana flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (if you want more heat, add some of all of the seeds)
- 3-4 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3-4 small to medium zucchinis, cut into half moon pieces.)
- 1 T avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bunches collard greens, washed, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 T ghee
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- goat cheese whipped with lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper
- cashew or nut cheese
- labne (Lebanese yogurt cheese)
Preheat the oven to 400. On a lined baking sheet, toss the yams and zucchini with oil, spices and salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through until golden brown and soft.
In a bowl combine water and chickpea flour. Whisk until smooth. Add salt, green onion and jalapeno. Add a generous amount of oil to a cast iron skillet and bring up to medium heat. Ladle batter into pan and cook for several minutes (until golden brown), flip and cook until golden brown on the opposite side. Continue until the batter is gone.
In the same pan used to cook the flatbreads, add 1 T ghee and garlic. Top with the collard greens and 1/4 cup water. Stir and cover. Steam the greens until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from heat.
To assemble: Place a flatbread on a plate and top with cheese (if using), greens, roasted veggies, avocado and zataar. Drizzle with olive oil and dive in.