Happy Friday! I realized I just jumped into the whole blog thing and didn't do a post introducing myself, what I do and why I do it. So here goes:
Hey! My name is Amrit-Sadhana, I live in Portland. I'm originally from Central Oregon and have lived in LA, Italy, Vietnam and spent extended time in India. I grew up in a yogic home (which you've heard me say before), but what does that mean? It means that I was raised with Kundalini yoga and meditation from a young age, we didn't wear shoes in our house, it constantly smelled like chai (totally ok with that), chant music was played non stop and we had a yoga room (yes, a whole room dedicated to yoga). This does not make my childhood extra special or void of trauma, but it did provide me with some tools that I carry with me to help me to cope. In fact, it's what helped me to heal from trauma. This lifestyle is the seed/foundation of why I created Body Bliss Life. I wanted a place where I could share my knowledge and experience of Ayurveda, yoga and mediation. Where you could find inspiration to create yummy and healthy vegetarian meals and a place where being a woman is 150% celebrated. Living consciously and blissfully is my passion because I feel that we all deserve it. It's a birth right.
When I discovered feminine movement, I feel like the missing piece of a puzzle was found. When I lived in LA, I met Sheila Kelley (the creator of S Factor). She invited me to come take a class (me?! pole dancing... I don't think so). Took me about 3 months to take her up on her offer and of course I was hooked from the moment the class started. Never had I been given permission to move my body without judgement or shame. I could spend 10 minutes to get from the floor to my feet and it was celebrated. Too often, we are rushed and don't allow our bodies to just move in a way that feels good. Thus began my journey. When we moved away from LA, my body missed the movement so much. I traveled back several times for teacher training so I could become a teacher. Discovering my style of teaching took some time, but I found that it works best for me to fuse my upbringing with yoga and meditation with the movement, thus was born Body Bliss Movement.
I have a lived a lot of life in 31 years. There is so much more to tell but for now I will leave you with a few fun facts about me:
- When I was young, my father was a professional shepherd. I spent many of my childhood days on a farm "helping." In high school/college, I milked cows. You could say that I am a farm girl at heart
- I am semi-fluent in Italian (used to be fluent) and miss Italy every single day
- I have my Bachelor's in Voice Performance and sang with Los Angeles Metropolitan Opera for 2 1/2 seasons.
- I did a 1000 day meditation (1000 days in a row without missing one day. A minimum of 11 minutes a day and no more than 31. In Kundalini yoga when you do a meditation for 1000 days in a row, you master it.). I did bound lotus, which is when you sit in full lots and wrap your arms around to grab your toes and then bow your forehead to the ground.
- Elephants are my most favorite animals in the entire world!